Gout is a form of arthritis characterized by painful and inflamed joints, edema, redness and problems in the proper functioning of the joints. The disease is more frequent in men than women. The main cause for gout is the high level of uric acid in the body, but not all the people with high uric acid have gout. When the uric acid has increased values, it can form small crystals that will be deposited on joints. Other reasons for gout are obesity, excessive alcohol consumption, high blood pressure, diuretic medicines, aspirin, medicine against tuberculosis, leukemia, lymphoma, or family history (first degree relatives). The first gout symptoms will appear years after the uric acid increased; meanwhile, the crystals will suffocate the joint without any sign or symptom. If you suffer from gout, you will experience one of the following symptoms:
• Increased local body temperature, pain and increased sensibility of the joint
• Intense nocturnal pain
• Intensified discomfort during the night, becoming less in the next 2-7 days
• Itching and exfoliation in the area
• Limited movement of the affected joint
The gout has four stages:
1. Increased level of uric acid in the blood (asymptomatic)
2. Accumulation of uric acid crystals in the articular liquid (a short episode with mild symptoms, disappearing fast, that can be felt again even after two years)
3. Frequent, intensified pain (severe symptoms lasting longer)
4. Chronic gout
Homemade treatment for gout
If you want to treat the gout by yourself, you should focus on decreasing the uric acid level in your blood. There are different ways for doing so, and it is proven to be very effective:
• Apple cider vinegar – It seems that vinegar has miraculous effects in healing arthritis. The acid in the vinegar will also reduce acute pain. If you want to increase the anti-inflammatory reactions of your body, you can take the vinegar together with honey. A mix of one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of water, taken two times daily, can do wonders.
• Sodium bicarbonate – Extremely helpful in reducing the uric acid level, helping also to reduce the pain. Mix half teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate with a glass of water and drink four times daily for two weeks.
• Fresh lemon juice – If we want to get rid of the pain produced by gout, it is essential to neutralize the excessive uric acid in the blood. You can do this fast by mixing the juice from one lemon with half teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate and water. Besides the lemon juice, you should also include in your diet other fruits that have vitamin C.
• Homemade lotion – When the pain caused by gout is too much, you can use four spoons of vinegar and 8 rose petals. Mix it and boil it. once it gets cold, gently massage the affected areas with the liquid.
Why is better to treat the gout at home? The medicine a doctor will normally prescribe for this affection have many side effects. The doctors will recommend a long-term treatment and you will have no guarantee that the gout episodes will stop, but you can be sure that you will get stuck with a lot of side effects. The gout can be treated with homemade remedies and this way is very effective. Also, you can help your body recover by maintaining a normal weight and having a healthy diet.